Alexis Collier - Dizzy Dynamic
Alexis Collier (Dizzy Dynamic) brings a fun and playful take to hoop dance with her dizzying style and dynamic movements. With a small background in dance and performing arts, Alexis has always loved a costume and a funky beat. It was only natural when she discovered hooping 3 and 1/2 years ago she would be like a moth to a flame. 2016 has been an incredible start to her future as an artist and creator. She was recently awarded International Female Hooper of the Year 2016 by Hooping.org, has had amazing performance opportunities all over the Midwest, appeared in music videos, hosted workshops, provided tutorials, online lessons, and has been inspired to further her practice as a performer and a teacher. Excited for the future, Alexis has so much to look forward to and work towards, and she cannot wait to share that with her hoop community!
Deep Down Below
Dizzy Dynamic ft Drip by Heather
Music is Deep Down Below by Liquid Stranger
When did you begin your journey into the flow arts, and how were you inspired to start?
- I started my journey in January of 2013! I discovered hooping at a music festival where I saw a girl with an LED hoop.. she was dancing her heart out and everyone was in awe, including myself. I thought – I want to be that girl! I immediately purchased a Wal-Mart hoop and used it every once in a while- but it was hard. When winter came I finally got my own space and was completely motivated to dive right into what I thought would be just a fun hobby. I immediately became obsessed ( no surprise there ) and started practicing everyday! It was so fulfilling learning something new and challenging myself. Hooping quickly became all I could think about and all I wanted to do!
Why do you love performing?
- I love providing a memorable experience for people. Its not everyday you see a magical person doing magical things with a hoop! It is so much fun connecting with a crowd, getting them pumped up and hearing “wow”. I have a small background in dance so I have been used to that feeling of being in front of a crowd since I was little! If I wasn’t doing a dance recital I was in a play at school or singing in choir. I have always been drawn to performing and loved the adrenaline rush it gives. Now its even more thrilling and enjoyable for me, because I truly hope that I can at least inspire one person in that crowd to follow their passion and dreams! I love seeing children’s faces light up when they watching hooping!
How has being a part of the flow community touched your life? How can the flow community make an impact and how do you see yourself being a part of it?
- Being apart of the flow community has touched my life in so many ways. I think the biggest one- was making me feel like I actually belonged somewhere.. All my life I felt I never had that comfort of feeling like I belonged. Hooping provided me this confidence and happiness that I wanted to share with everyone! The flow community is so accepting , loving.. I couldn’t believe a world like that existed! A world full of inspiration, full of different people all coming together for the love of one thing. How beautiful is that?! Hooping helped with my self-esteem, anxiety and depression, it helped me learn how to stick with something even though you may want to quite..My only regret was not discovering it sooner!
I truly think the flow community could make a huge impact on the world. I performed at an elementary school last year and to this date it was still my favorite performance I have ever done. So many little children were inspired that day, completely in awe! Imagine instead of telling our kids they had to do sports or dance that instead there was a program for flow arts? How beneficial that could be? I would love to bring this awareness to as many as I can! That is why I am working on becoming a certified instructor so I can start teaching more and sharing this flow love!
What are your main props/specialties?
- My main prop is hoops! I have spent 3 and a half years giving it my all! Along the way I have picked up poi, levi wand and buugeng as well. I have dabbled with those for about a year and a half and really enjoy them, but nothing compares to my love of circles! I have recently been interested in picking up staffs too! I would love to start! I also just recently started aerial arts and the Lyra is a new favorite too. Just brought one home 🙂
Where do you like to practice the most?
- I love to practice outside! I very rarely will hoop indoors in the summer time, I love feeling the grass in my toes and sun on my skin 🙂 If you look at my backyard, you can tell that Is where I spend most of my time haha.
Have you received any honorable mentions or won awards related to your flow or artistry? Have you been featured on other sites? Have you performed at any large festivals
- YES! I was awarded Female Hooper of the Year 2016 by Hooping.org, as well as nominated for Hooper of the Year USA and Performance video of the year ( The Rhythm ) for the Hoopie Awards. I was also apart of Hooping Idol 5 and got 2nd place! One of the biggest things I am excited for is the opportunity to be an instructor at Hoop Dream retreat in Malaysia next year!! 😀 I also just performed at Summer Camp Music festival which was my first time at a big fest.
Are you a part of a performance group, flow community, or flow meet-up?
- I would say I am highly involved in the flow community! Social media is a great way to connect with other flow artists from around the world! I use those platforms to connect and share with others and I think it is very helpful and has brought me some amazing connections. Chicago has a lot of Flow Jams and meet ups and now that it is warmer out – they will be all summer long! Im hoping to make it to my first Full Moon gathering this summer as well as other flow festivals!
Are there any Facebook groups, clubs or local meet-ups that already exist in your local area? Are there online hooping/spinning/flow communities or forums that you’re on and/or participate in?
- Yes! There are local flow jams usually hosted outside, hooper meet ups, full moon fire jams and a lot of other random gatherings here in Chicago! I am apart of almost every hoop group on facebook but use Infinite Circles, HoopLovers, HoopTech, and Flow Art Lounge the most!
Do you teach anywhere?
- Yes I teach Intro to Hoop Dance at my studio Tiger Lily Vertical Fitness & Dance in Geneva IL
What has 2016 been like for you? At which festivals/events/retreats can you be found over the summer and through the rest of the year?
- 2016 has truly been an incredible year for me. I was awarded Female Hooper of the Year 2016 by Hooping.org and that was a huge personal goal of mine! I attended the Hoop Dream Retreat in Bali this past Spring in hopes to discover more about teaching. I was invited to guest instruct the last workshop and it was such a success that I was invited as a full instructor for Hoop Dream Retreat in Malaysia next Spring! So excited! After I came back from Bali I was dying to get into a local studio and start teaching! So now I am the new Hoop Instructor at my local studio called Tiger Lily Vertical Fitness & Dance! We are adding more classes and are having a lot of success with them! Because of this I have to become a certified group fitness instructor – so hopefully this could open more doors for me as well. I also have been doing online Skype lessons as well as some workshops around Chicago. I was just invited as a Hoop Instructor for Hoop Camp this coming September and are still working out the details regarding that! Festivals have been a little less of a focus because of traveling and my work load at the moment, but planning some local festivals for the remainder of the year! My schedule is still TBA. Possibly Hoop Camp 2016 in September and possibly Imagine Music Festival.
Single Hoop Tech:
Music – Kenny Dope & Raheem Devaugh I got Rhythm
Summer Hoop Demo
Hooping Idol 5 Finale Week
Odesza Hoop Flow
Some single hooping to one of my favorite Odesza remixes Divinity!