Katherine Zhu-Tsang | SpinMeDizzy
New York, New York
When did you begin your journey into the flow arts, and how were you inspired to start?
- I bought a hoop at Rite Aid after a long night out with friends and let me tell you, best $1 ever spent! Not long after I went to Santa Cruz to visit my parents and Hoop Camp 2014 happened to be going on. I was absolutely blown away by the showcase and mesmerized by this whole world I never even knew existed. As soon as I got back to NYC that October, I bought my very first Odysseys beginner hoop from MoodHoops and have never put down a hoop since then. And here we are a year and nine months later and still as in love.
Why do you love performing?
- It’s so much FUN! I love being all excited and nervous beforehand and then when I start hooping I just get lost in all this happiness!
It also really means alot to me when I can inspire people. It’s something I never thought I’d be able to do, esp not with hooping. There are so many people that have inspired me and to be able to do that for someone means the world.
How has being a part of the flow community touched your life? How can the flow community make an impact and how do you see yourself being a part of it?
- The flow community has welcomed me with open arms ever since I picked up a hoop. I’ve learnt so much from so many different people with awesome individuality and I’m so grateful for what that has done for my own personal growth. There is no end to benefits of hooping and I will spread hooping as far as I can.
What are your main props/specialties?
- My main prop is the hula hoop. I’ve been hooping a year and 9 months now. I’ve been fire hooping a few months and am currently aspiring to circus multiple on body hooping. I’ve been working on that for almost a month and a half. So far I’ve got three down comfortably for a few minutes and four is doable but not that strong.
Where do you like to practice the most?
- I love practicing in my backyard, being barefoot and surrounded by green, a little escape from the craziness of NYC.
Have you received any honorable mentions or won awards related to your flow or artistry? Have you been featured on other sites? Have you performed at any large festivals?
- A video of mine was shared on the Made in Shoreditch page on Facebook!
Are you a part of a performance group, flow community, or flow meet-up?
- My flowmie Shelby and I have come together this summer to form Dreaming Circles. We have performed at a few venues/events and currently host monthly meet ups in NYC and Philly (depending on where we are). We will go to the park and provide hoops and music as well as helping beginner hoopers with learning new stuff or just getting them involved in the hooping community. We are also just started happy hour specials with a local bar after our jam for anyone who attends. I regularly hoop with the NYC hooping community in parades as well as attending hoop jams.
Are you one of the people who organize events in your area?
- Yes, my friend Shelby and I are the duo Dreaming Circles. We organize monthly hoop jams. So far one in Philly and the rest in NYC. Here is a video from our first flow jam!
At which festivals/events/retreats can you be found over the summer and through the rest of the year?
- I will be performing at the Frisbee Freestyle World Championships as well as Taste of the Catskills.
Who's coming to our World Hoop Day event in NYC tnrw and Taste of the Catskills next weekend? Instagram: @spin_me_dizzyHoop: 5/8 29"Song: Wandering Stars by Kid Beyond
Posted by Katherine Zhu-Tsang as Spin Me Dizzy on Friday, September 30, 2016
Basic Breaks and Paddles Tutorial
by Spin Me Dizzy