Colorado Springs, Colorado
My name is Melina. I am 19 years old and only 5ft tall. I am a cosmetologist. I’ve been hooping for 2 years and 10 months. I also practice aerial silks and I am going to start roller skating. I live in a retired military family so I’ve lived and seen many different places which was an amazing experience.
When did you begin your journey into the flow arts, and how were you inspired to start?
- September 18, 2013. I saw the video of Rachael Lust hooping to “Thrift Shop” on Facebook and thought it looked fun.
Why do you love performing?
- I used to be in plays all the time growing up, but as the bullying got worse for me I was too afraid to show my face anywhere anymore. I conquered that fear my senior year of high school when I did the talent show and won first place having no routine prepared. I tend to get anxiety before stepping on stage, but sometimes it’s a good anxiety. I love being able to go on stage and show off something that I love doing and that I know I’m good at.
How has being a part of the flow community touched your life? How can the flow community make an impact and how do you see yourself being a part of it?
- The flow community has touched my life in many ways. Always getting positive feedback from them and advice when I need it. I love being able to go on the Facebook pages and ask questions because there’s always someone who knows the answer. My favorite part is seeing the progress new hoopers make and seeing how everyone flows because even though people may be “similar” we are all different and we all still have a different flow. It’s awesome to see what kind of tricks or combos people come up with and how they do it and how hoopers put their own style to it.
What are your main props/specialties?
- Hula hooping – two years and ten months. Strongest skill.
Aerial silks – two years, but haven’t used them too much.
I’ve practiced a little bit of poi.
Where do you like to practice the most?
- I practice mostly at parks, inside and outside of my apartment, and whenever I go exciting places. I take my hoops everywhere and try to get at least one video when I go somewhere new and exciting.
Have you received any honorable mentions or won awards related to your flow or artistry? Have you been featured on other sites? Have you performed at any large festivals?
- I performed at Electric Forest 2015. My hula hooping in heels video was shared on Facebook and reached 10.8 million views along with another 2.8 million on another Facebook page and hundreds of thousands of more views on several other pages. Another video was on a tv show called “RightThisMinute.” I’ve been featured on hooping.org a few times. I won my high school senior year talent show.
Are there any local flow gatherings near you?
- Colorado has meet ups in Denver and Manitou every so often. I’ve never been, but I plan to go.
At which festivals/events/retreats can you be found over the summer and through the rest of the year?
- I am having a workshop in August to teach coin flips and variations with Deven Zimmer.