New Orleans, Louisiana
Lee is a southeastern performance artist who demonstrates a fusion of styles that incorporate hip hop and dance, as well as the utilization of props to create a beautiful visual display. Aside from his success in the hoopdancing community, Lee is also a professional fire performer specializing in many forms of performance art, including hoops, poi, fans, and staff.
He began learning multiple props under the direction of the team at Arkansas Circus Arts in Little Rock. Since then, Lee has had the wonderful opportunity to work with such companies as Facebook, Ravetrain TV, and Pass the Good Entertainment in varying capacities from performer to performance coordinator. He has also performed as an independent contractor for festivals and events such as SCI’S Hulaween and Imagine Music Festival.
a hoopdance film
a hoopdance film
conceptualized, choreographed & performed by: Morgan Jenkins & Lee Jeffries
DESPONDENCE exposes the dark shadows of depression that cast over one’s mind and relationships. Feature song, “Unsteady” by X Ambassadors.
When did you begin your journey into the flow arts, and how were you inspired to start?
- I began my hoop journey around 5-6 years ago when my girlfriend at the time came in town and showed off her new hobby, I was instantly intrigued! I started that day, and haven’t stopped spinning since!
Why do you love performing?
- You are making an impact on the aesthetic of the production or environment. The environment is making an impact on you, which in turn, translates to your performance. I am in love with the synergy the performing arts brings, and excited to explore more avenues!
How has being a part of the flow community touched your life? How can the flow community make an impact and how do you see yourself being a part of it?
- This community has literally saved my life. The past three years, life has not been so kind, and it is this passion that we ALL share that has kept my head above water. Through my travels as both a performer and a vendor, I’ve noticed the incredible amount of generosity and love that comes from the circle. Not many my age can say I have friends in every state, and I have hooping to thank for that! As an artist, I have really tried to aspire to INSPIRE, to help push and motivate people’s passions and put help them guide it to a purpose!
Hooping is a subculture of dance that is NOT necessarily Recognized in the dance world, and I hope my work can help push this industry into more facets in order to implement more collaboration and creativity!
What are your main props/specialties?
- I specialize in a variety of props: hoops, fans, and poi. Collectively, I have spent 5-6 years understanding these props, but have taken an even bigger interest and dedication to hooping.
Where do you like to practice the most?
- Dance studios! Mirror mirror on the wall 🙂
Have you received any honorable mentions or won awards related to your flow or artistry? Have you been featured on other sites? Have you performed at any large festivals?
- Instructor for Hoopcamp 2015
- >Male hooper of the year nominee 2015
- Video of the year nominee 2015
- I have created a variety of workshops available upon request.
Are you a part of a flow community or flow meet-up? Are there any local flow gatherings near you?
- I have just recently moved to the New Orleans area, there are a wide variety of performers and fellow flow artists within the city. Currently in the process of mapping out the city and networking.
While I haven’t been a leader in the New Orleans community, for I have just recently moved into the area, I will say that I had a beautiful commitment into the Pensacola Florida community. While residing in Florida, I had opportunities to work alongside other performers and friends in various capacities to charity organizations, corporate events, and music festivals as a solo contracted season performer for the Spirit of Suwanee Music Park (Hulaween, Tipper & friends, Aura).
Are you in a troupe or performance group?
At which festivals/events/retreats can you be found throughout the year?
2017 Vendor/Performance Schedule
- Tipper and Friends
- Hangout music festival
- Electric Forest
- Peach Festival
- Camp Bisco
- Purple Hatters Ball
- Wannee Music Festival
- Wakarusa Music Festival
I would LOVE to spread the art of hoopography to the world! I have a variety of workshops, choreography, and tutorials available!