GogoBellax - Jemila David
New York, New York
When did you begin your journey into the flow arts, and how were you inspired to start?
- I started hooping 1.5 years ago after watching multiple videos of hoop spam from a friend from high school. I asked her how do I start and the rest is history! I’ve been hula hooping ever since!
Why do you love performing?
- I love the whole experience of getting dressed and putting on make up….I also love the fact that I get to show the world what I do every time I’m on stage and that opens their eyes….another thing I love about performing is the rush and emotions I get while performing! I’m soooo happy it makes me wanna cry every time Lol. Its even better with my flow sisters because we get to bond and make connections with others. I also just love how art can come together and create an experience!
How has being a part of the flow community touched your life? How can the flow community make an impact and how do you see yourself being a part of it?
- It has opened my eyes and changed my life completely, I’m all about that flow life….now I have something in common with many others who are from outer space like me….its so great to be able to hoop with other hoop friends …through hooping I’ve actually learned the meaning of friendship.
What are your main props/specialties?
- I do single hoop and double hoop, I’ve been practicing at least 5 days a week for at least 1 hour. I would say single hoop is my strongest.
Where do you like to practice the most?
- I like to find new parks or cool abandoned places to practice but my favorite place would be right in front of my house.
What are some of your performances that you’re the most proud of?
- All of my performances are a big deal to me, but I’ll just list a few big ones: EDC NYC 2016 & 2015, Bang On! House of Horrors, I Feel Summer Escape Festival
Are you a part of a performance group, flow community, or flow meet-up?
- I am part a Celestialflowtribe! I am an assistant manager/costume manager/performer/Fire Safety. CelestialFlowTribe is a group of girls with a variety of talent and we help and find gigs to do together and help spread hoop love every where we go! We also hold a monthly hoop session at Central ParK here in NYC to meet up with flow friends and new hoopers in the area.
Are there any Facebook groups, clubs or local meet-ups that already exist in your local area? Are there online hooping/spinning/flow communities or forums that you’re on and/or participate in?
I am active on Infinite circles community , NYC Hoopers, Black Hula Hoopers Unite.
At which festivals/events/retreats can you be found over the summer and through the rest of the year?
- I am not currently booked for any big events for the rest of the year.