When did you begin your journey into the flow arts, and how were you inspired to start?
- I picked up a hoop about 4 years ago after meeting a girl who had a smart hoop. As a kid I knew how to hoop around the waist but didn’t know there was so much more you can do with a hoop. I started out hooping once or twice a week but the more time I spent, the more I fell in love. Now I pick up my hoops constantly without even thinking about it.
What do you love about the experience of performing?
- What I love about performing is being able to express my creativity for people. I love that through me expressing myself, I can inspire other people to find their passion or even pick up flow arts.
How has being a part of the flow community touched your life? How can the flow community make an impact and how do you see yourself being a part of it?
- Being a part of the flow community has helped me shape my life and inspired me to start creating art. Flow arts came to me during a time where I felt lost and unsure of what I wanted to do with my life. For that, I’m so grateful. I think that the flow community has already made such an impact on many people but, we all have to make an effort to lead with example as the community grows. Show love spread love. Be kind. Be honest.
What advice would you give to someone just starting their flow journey? Which tutorials or guiding principles helped you along the way?
- I would say take workshops and attend flow festivals. I wish that I had gone to them sooner in my journey because my first flow fest was when everything clicked. I grew in my flow journey exponentially faster after being surrounded all weekend by super talented spinners and taking classes. You’d be surprised how much you can learn in a weekend.
Where do you aim to hone your skills in 2017? Have you taken on any new props or specialties recently?
- This year I am working on a few things: hoop juggling, multi-hooping, more fan tech, and acroyoga.
- I want to get my own contact or dragon staff sometime this year as well.
What are your main props/specialties?
- Hoops, Fire fans, poi
Is there a particular aspect about the hooping or flow community that you’re passionate about? How do you envision your influence?
- I’m passionate about the art. I love being able to create visuals and shapes with these inanimate objects. I never thought I would be so in love with geometry but here we are.
In a nutshell, how would you describe your unique style of flow? Are there artists or dance styles that you take inspiration from?
- My brain likes to merge ideas that I have learned or seen. I have a thing for tech/geometry but lately I’ve been remembering that I have a ton of random experiences with different styles of dance so I’ve been incorporating more dance. Also I have been a musician since I can remember so musicality is a big thing in my flow as well.
In the beginning of my journey, I can remember being heavily influenced by hoopers like Mufasa, Mike Hayataka, Monica Marie, & Babz Robinson. Houdoken aka Matt has influenced my hoop/fan tutting within the past year.
Where do you like to practice the most?
- I love practicing at the comfort of my home
Are you a part of a troupe or performance group?
- Evol Kid Media
Do you teach, mentor or create tutorials?
- Yes! I teach and I have post tutorials. I actually created an Instagram called @fl0w_journal (flow with a zero) to post specific ideas and tricks in slow-mo or I’ll post an actual tutorial if it fits in 1 minute. Otherwise my YouTube page has the longer tutorials !
Are you a part of a flow community or flow meet-up? Are there any local flow gatherings near you?
- Indy has flow jams in the summer time at the canal every week, sometimes twice a week for acro/flow jams!
Are you one of the community members that helps to organize any of these events? Do you want to share details of how you take a leading or participatory role?
- Communicate with the people in your community! Here in Indy we have FB pages for flow/acro jams and gather together frequently especially when it’s nice outside.
At which festivals/events/retreats can you be found in 2017?
- I will be teaching and performing at Kinetic Fire (May in Ohio), Great Lakes Flow Fest (August in Michigan), Equilibrium Arts Event (Sept in Kansas). I’ll also be attending Sonic bloom and Hulaween.
Are you an active performer?
My most recent gig was at a father daughter dance. This summer I’ll be performing in the instructor showcase at Kinetic Fire, Great Lakes Flow Fest, and Equilibrium Arts Event.